Sunday, August 13, 2006

From the V.I.P. seats...


Hi there, in this "new" column, i will review gigs organised by the songwritersguild from a perspective of someone who doesn't write any songs, nor plays them. Since Kat told me to write this in English, I don't really know why, but whatever, i will write it in English. I'll try to write a review about the night, but I'm not sure how many nights i'll be hosting the next few months. This time i write about the first songwriternight in Savanna, with Roy and Pien.

Since Kat ran out of money (mostly spent on our new and running projects), i had to pick her up from the trainstation to buy her some traintickets for the next week. She was caught the day before, and she didn't want to risk it again. So i was at station Moerwijk around six o clock, i pulled the tickets out of the machine, ran downstairs with Kat, jumped on the bike (dude where's my car?), and raced off back home.

After finding the camera, i jumped on my bike again to race to Savanna, because i was supposed to be there at six... I got there at quarter to seven, and guess, nobody there yet... so all that hurry was pretty much pointless. I was kind of suprised by the overwhelming welcome i got from the guy behind the bar, everybody seemed to know me already and it created a amicable ambiance straight away. I got offered some drinks for me as well, and even more suprisingly, a meal from the card. Kat and I have been eating there already last week, but this was almost as good as last week, shame Kat wasn't there... After having a little chat with Pien and Roy, who arrived in the meanwhile, i started my tapas dish. I've mentioned before that their food is awesome, but some little voice in my head keeps telling me that i should tell you again and over again.

In the meanwhile, some of Roy and Pien's friends arrived at the spot and soon after, Pien started playing her first set. I think she's a really impressive songwriter, with lyrics i could understand and a good prenounciation. After 25 minutes, she finished her first set, and she was even suprised herself that she mangaged to hold on that long. According to her setlist she told me that her first set was about 15 minutes long, and i was a bit worried about that, because we were supposed to fill the night with music, until 11 o clock. So that 10 extra minutes really did the job. It's a bit a shame that the interaction with the audience wasn't really there in the first set, but she did quite a better job in her second set. Before that, Roy played a set which was quite as good as hers. His first song was a little bit to quiet and i noticed that the audience wasn't really paying attention to his song. Some people were talking really loud, just besides the stage, in quite an annoying way, so i asked them gently to be a bit quieter. Pointless, because they got even louder later on. Luckily, Roy's next song was much louder, with great dynamics as well. One thing i noticed, was that there wasn't much interaction with the audience in his first set either.

After a short break, Pien started her second set, which was much more present than her first one. Some funny comments about her songs in between, and a good prenounciation of the lyrics made the set one to remember. Same goes for Roy in his second set. The introductions of his songs were basically all going about dying and pain, which got funny in some way.

I have to tell you that i'm not really into singer-songwriters at all. Most of the music is not really my style, and i'm more into bands to be honest. Since tonight, i realise that singer-songwriters aren't always as boring and dramatic as i thought. Thanks to Roy and Pien for this great experience, and thanks to Savanna for hosting us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home